Sunday, September 7, 2014

Life in Ankara, Turkey

Like many other Americans, I harbored some reservations about Turkey when my fiance first suggested the idea of moving abroad. Now, tomorrow marks 6 months since we landed in Ankara and I'm dragging my feet in planning our next destination.


Ankara, Turkey holds a population of 4.5 million+ and is second only to Istanbul which boasts a population of 14 million+ people. If Istanbul is the Beverly Hills of Turkey, Ankara is the Westwood Village. Ankara is an active but cozy city while Istanbul is decidedly more impressive and boisterous. In sum: Istanbul is for vacationing while Ankara is for living.










In 2012 when my fiance visited Ankara for work, I asked him to describe the city for me. At first I was frustrated trying to understand how it could be "peaceful" and "politically unstable" at the same time but upon arriving I soon learned what he meant.

Most people are just trying to live their lives, attending state universities for free or working 60 hours/week. Political unrest exists but mostly rises following elections like the recent one wherein Erdogan, the former Prime Minister of Turkey, was elected President.

Kocatepe, the largest mosque in Ankara, can accommodate 24,000 people
As the center of Turkish government, Ankara houses all foreign embassies. I visited the US embassy earlier this year when I unknowingly misplaced my passport in a taxi. Within 24 hours the embassy discovered which hotel I was staying at-despite the fact that my name wasn't even on the hotel records-and called for me to retrieve it. Thanks, NSA. Honestly it was scary, but reassuring that at least as an American I'm always safe here.













Since my fiance and I are both fortunate enough to work from home, most of our free time is spent cooking new foods (I can no longer live without Ottoman spice), taking walks in the park and practicing limited Turkish with our friends at the local grocery store Cagdas (pronounced Chadash).

While it hasn't all been sunshine and daisies, I've fallen in love with Ankara. There's a local Turkish saying that "the most beautiful part of Ankara is the road to Istanbul" but I don't mind - this way Ankara remains a hidden gem away from tourists for me to enjoy.


Good night Ankara, good afternoon Los Angeles!

*Note: I do not own any of these photos

No comments:

Post a Comment